Sunday, November 18, 2012

Healthy Eats: Paleo Acorn Squash

I am participating in a "Healthy Holidays Challenge" being hosted by The Chicken Scoop (a blog about "Fitness, Food, and Farming") and one of the challenges was to try something new, specifically, acorn squash.

Now mind you, I HATE acorn squash.  It's mushy, not much flavor, blech... Yeah, I guess you get the point!  So this was a huge challenge for me!  Then someone posted a link to a recipe that didn't sound half bad.  The originally recipe can be found on My Man's Belly but, I'm trying to follow the Paleo lifestyle.  Basically, only all natural foods, seeds, nuts, fruits and veggies are ok but no dairy (eggs are ok but no butter or milk), no refined sugar, no beans and nothing processed.  You should also eat organic if you can.  (For more info, you can go to Mark's Daily Apple). 

So I adapted the recipe to make it Paleo.  This is non-dairy, gluten-free too.  
Paleo Acorn Squash
  1 acorn squash
  olive oil
  2 tablespoons of Coconut Manna or Coconut oil
  1 tablespoon of Raw Honey
  1 teaspoon of orange peel (or 1 tablespoon of fresh orange zest)
  1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (or 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg)
  1/4 teaspoon chipolte powder
  Salt and pepper to taste




Preheat oven to 325.  Cut acorn squash into quarters and remove seeds.  Brush inside of squash with olive oil and place on a pan cut side down (forming 2 halves).  Bake 45 minutes.  


About 5 minutes before it's done, melt coconut manna/oil and raw honey together in a small pan on the stove (if you have one with a pour spout, like one to melt butter in, it helps).  Mix in all the rest of the ingredients when melted, constantly stirring and remove from heat once melted.  DO NOT BOIL!

Remove acorn squash from oven and flip over.  You can do one of 2 things now.  You can either scoop out the squash into a bowl, coarsely mash it up then mix the coconut mixture in with it.  Or you can drizzle the coconut oil on the top of each piece of squash and place them back in the oven for about 10-15 minutes before serving.  The latter makes for a great presentation, the former is good if you want to serve it to a family with children.

Before serving, add chopped walnuts if desired.

I've got to admit, I can't say I hate acorn squash anymore since I was already trying to figure out when I could make this recipe again.  It was also so easy to make.  I absolutely loved it!

Nutrition Facts:  Serves 4
  Amount per serving (without walnuts):  Calories:  140; Fat:  8g;  Carbohydrates:  17.2g;  Fiber:  1.7g;  Protein:  1.4g

1 comment:

  1. I never made my acorn squash. I will have to try this recipe!
    ~Ang

    ReplyDelete